[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 17 21:17:19 UTC 2020

Quoting McCoy Smith (mccoy at lexpan.law):

> Tobie, I’m curious about your reaction to this:
> https://where.coraline.codes/blog/ethical-source-osi-elections/ Your
> name is being invoked here as one of two ethical source candidate for
> the just-completed Board election which – if your votes were combined
> – would have come in, well, 4th (so, nudging you collectively ahead of
> the “clarification of the processes” candidate who actually came in
> 4th).

In case it's useful, OSI's 2020 election results (with vote counts)
were reported here:  https://opensource.org/node/1049

FWIW, Ms. Ehmke's blog post states that she and Tobie Langel 'did collectively
secure 35% of the votes from the membership', but quick calculation[1]
using the numbers at https://opensource.org/node/1049 suggests this
statistic is 11%.  (Perhaps Ms. Ehmke was relying on preliminary vote
counts from elsewhere.  I wouldn't know, and just note the datum.)

[1] Liten-Datamaskin:~ rick$ bc
bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
scale = 2
(36 + 82) / (224 + 198 + 137 + 92 + 82 + 67 + 60 + 56 + 39 + 36 + 36 + 13 + 7 + 7 + 7)
.11
quit
Liten-Datamaskin:~ rick$

(What can I say?  I remain an incurable empiricist.)

--
Cheers,                     "Why doesn't anyone invite copyeditors to parties,
Rick Moen                   when we're such cool people out with whom to hang?"