[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 02:38:59 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 9:29 PM Coraline Ada Ehmke <coraline at idolhands.com>
wrote:

> So asking for voluntary donations or code contributions is verboten?

Software license agreements are conditions upon which permission is granted
to do activities which copyright or (unfortunately in some jurisdictions)
patent law require permission for.

If what you wish to discuss is voluntary then it is part of a community
statement of their own values,  part of freedom of association, or in some
other document.  If it is voluntary then should not be in a document
claimed to be a license agreement.

One of the many problems with some software developers is that they are
unwilling to consider the impacts of their code (written in software or
license agreements) has on society as a whole.  I think it is time that
they took some responsibility, and started to ask if software authors
should be able to unilaterally implement public policy in software and
software licenses which would be better implemented via democratic
institutions (UDHR Article 21).