[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Mar 16 00:07:24 UTC 2020

On 3/15/20 12:06 PM, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> Just because software license agreements aren't an appropriate avenue
> to express a specific public policy concern doesn't mean that the OSI
> isn't an appropriate organization to work with for people wishing to
> do that type of policy work.
OSI exists to support Open Source, as defined in the Open Source
Definition, and enforced by a list of licenses that allow software to
comply with that definition. We really have nothing to say about
software that isn't open source. Ethical software is by definition not
open source. Is it a good thing? Maybe, maybe not. But it's no concern
of the Open Source Initiative.