[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 12 01:18:28 UTC 2020

Quoting Russell Nelson (nelson at crynwr.com):

> On 3/11/20 8:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >didn't ever really discuss the merits of ethical clauses (or lack thereof).
>
> Yes, I did. Went through all of them one by one, showing that they
> were not compatible with the OSD, and analyzed the idea of putting
> restrictions on the USE of software versus the DISTRIBUTION of
> software. No response from Coraline. Why not? Because the ESD's very
> *goal* is contrary to the goal of the OSD.

I had a similar experience (went through, on license-discuss, some
clauses of the ESD explicitly, examining those from an OSI perspective
in contrast to OSD), and reached a similar conclusion.  Direct link, for
those who missed that:
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-discuss_lists.opensource.org/2020-March/021452.html

Ms. Ehmke sent her goodbye posting, about twenty hours later the same
day, without any response to my critique, or yours, or a number of
others'.  I'm not rushing, here, to any conclusions (let alone
uncharitable ones) as to the reason why:  I merely note the sequence of
events.

--
Rick Moen               "The four seasons are Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall.
rick at linuxmafia.com     For California publications, change to Mudslide,