[License-discuss] What should fit in a FOSS license?

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Wed Mar 11 18:36:04 UTC 2020

On 3/11/2020 1:42 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/11/20 6:56 AM, Russell Nelson wrote:
>>> I still say we should use the Vaccine License as a case example of an
>>> unpassable license on our website.
>> Not listing unpassable examples is a long-standing policy decision. We
>> have plenty of examples of what passes muster. I've never seen why we
>> need to list licenses that don't comply. Why do you think we need to
>> provide that information?
> Because the OSI needs to stop relying on the idea that people trust us
> to decide fairly what makes sense in an OSS license.  They don't.  We
> need to explain *why* the various clauses of the OSD exist, and not just
> do "we're experienced and we know what we're doing".  Examples of
> unpassable licenses *with an explanation of why they are unpassable*
> would help.
>
> For the vaccine license, I think I'll write a blog post to show you what
> I mean.

Have you been reading the rationale documents I've been writing (for
both approved and unapproved licenses) since I became chair? Is that not
what you mean?

CALv1:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Archived+Discussions+on+Not+Approved+Licenses/Rationale+Vaccine+License/
Vaccine License:
https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Archived+Discussions+on+Not+Approved+Licenses/Rationale+Vaccine+License/

They're linked from the rejected licenses page.

Pam