[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Wed Mar 11 13:59:01 UTC 2020

Speaking personally, I support anyone who wants to use a software
license for whatever ends important to them. The problem I have is that
picking and choosing who may use software is not reconcilable with the
current OSD, which has over 20 years of proven successful track record.
Open source is eating the world because "open source" has a known,
relatively predictable meaning. Governments, businesses and individuals
make far-reaching and wide-ranging choices about software based on the
fact that the software meets the definition of open source. To change
the definition in any significant way will destroy their trust and they
will no longer be able to rely on the term as meaningful.  "Open source"
will just become market speak, like "best of breed." This is why the
approval of CAL took so long; it was a step beyond any currently
existing approved license and we had to make sure (based on insights
from "just opinion holders," who are extremely important) that it wasn't
a step too far.

So yes, I think it's perfectly ok to create a category that limits the
use of software based on the identity of the user, but it can't also
meet the longstanding definition of "open source."

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492