[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Resources to discourage governments from bespoke licenses?

Pamela Chestek pamela.chestek at opensource.org
Mon Mar 2 19:37:07 UTC 2020

On 3/2/2020 2:04 PM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) via
License-discuss wrote:
> [...]
Hi Cem,

I can't promise the timing, but the instructions for license review do
describe process and the goal for the length of pendency.
https://opensource.org/approval That's the process we'll follow for any
license submitted.

As to critique, the difficulty is that the review is done collaborative
and people express their individual opinions, but you can't really tell
what is something that the OSI Board considers an issue and what it
doesn't. Personally I wait to see all the viewpoints before I reach my
own conclusion and I'm sure other Board members are the same. So the
process may involve some crystal ball reading on the part of the
drafters, trying to figure out what criticisms need to be addressed and
which can be ignored. I would say if it's an unintended loophole or
vagueness, then it's always good practice to revise it so that the
document is as clear and accurate as possible. Sometimes it's a matter
of the license submitter explaining where someone has misunderstood the
license. If it's a philosophical disagreement, that's going to depend on
what the issue is and whether it's something that the drafters can and
are willing to change.

After the review period, the License Committee makes a recommendation to
the full Board in a very complete rationale document. You can see two
examples, one not recommending approval of the first version of the CAL
license here:
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2019-June/004248.html
and the second approving the second version here:
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2020-February/004660.html
The full Board then votes on the recommendation. A rationale document
not approving the license is going to be the best way to understand what
would need to be addressed in a resubmission.

Van Lindberg might be able to help you navigate the process; he just
went through it with the CAL license and I suspect it was a learning
process for him. He can probably give you some tips.

Pam

Pamela Chestek
Chair, License Review Committee
Open Source Initiative