[License-discuss] The value of open source

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jul 9 15:57:49 UTC 2020

Below is the acknowledgement from an important paper published today by
CERN. “Observation of structure in the J/ψ-pair mass spectrum
<https://arxiv.org/pdf/2006.16957.pdf> .“ Don’t bother reading the paper;
like most physics results it is generally incomprehensible to laypersons.
But please see the sentence highlighted below in yellow. Be proud. /Larry

Acknowledgements

We express our gratitude to our colleagues in the CERN accelerator
departments for the excellent performance of the LHC. We thank the technical
and administrative staff at the LHCb institutes. We acknowledge support from
CERN and from the national agencies: CAPES, CNPq, FAPERJ and FINEP (Brazil);
MOST and NSFC (China); CNRS/IN2P3 (France); BMBF, DFG and MPG (Germany);
INFN (Italy); NWO (Netherlands); MNiSW and NCN (Poland); MEN/IFA (Romania);
MSHE (Russia); MinECo (Spain); SNSF and SER (Switzerland); NASU (Ukraine);
STFC (United Kingdom); DOE NP and NSF (USA). We acknowledge the computing
resources that are provided by CERN, IN2P3 (France), KIT and DESY (Germany),
INFN (Italy), SURF (Netherlands), PIC (Spain), GridPP (United Kingdom),
RRCKI and Yandex LLC (Russia), CSCS (Switzerland), IFIN-HH (Romania), CBPF
(Brazil), PL-GRID (Poland) and OSC (USA). We are indebted to the communities
behind the multiple open-source software packages on which we depend.
Individual groups or members have received support from AvH Foundation
(Germany); EPLANET, Marie Sk lodowska-Curie Actions and ERC (European
Union); A*MIDEX, ANR, Labex P2IO and OCEVU, and R´egion
Auvergne-Rh?one-Alpes (France); Key Research Program of Frontier Sciences of
CAS, CAS PIFI, and the Thousand Talents Program (China); RFBR, RSF and
Yandex LLC (Russia); GVA, XuntaGal and GENCAT (Spain); the Royal Society and
the Leverhulme Trust (United Kingdom).