[License-discuss] Columbia S&T Law Review analysis of the OSI license-discuss mailing list

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Sat Feb 29 18:54:08 UTC 2020

I just came across interesting commentary by D. Kappos and M. Harrington entitled “The Truth About OSS-FRAND: By All Indications, Compatible Models in Standards Settings” in Columbia’s STLR, Spring 2019:

http://www.stlr.org/download/volumes/volume20/kappos.pdf <http://www.stlr.org/download/volumes/volume20/kappos.pdf>

They apparently did an analysis of license-discuss posts from 1999 to 2019, specifically looking at discussion surrounding the OSD and patent rights.  I don’t particularly agree with some conclusions, despite a lack of consensus finding which I do accept, but it’s a fascinating read regardless.  It’s also a particularly interesting use of the license-discuss mailing list.

Cheers!
Sean