[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Feb 29 07:12:41 UTC 2020

There are, as one might expect, multiple aspects of this idea.

Is it legally enforceable? Not even lawyers can answer that question
because it depends (as Larry Rosen once said) on which side of the bed
the judge has gotten up on. Probably a better question is whether you
intend the new terms to be legally enforceable? Eric makes it clear that
enforceability is immaterial since he does not intend it to restrict
licensees.

Well, given that, the entire thing is moot. We deal in licenses which
give permission to licensees to further sub-license the software. We
don't have licenses which do not permit would-be licensees to retrieve
or accept ownership of a copy of the software. We don't have licenses
which restrict -- in any way -- their use of the software. All of this
has been hashed out literally decades ago.

If Eric wants somebody to refrain from using his software, he is free to
ask them to refrain. He doesn't need any change in the Open Source
licensing regimen. If, however, he ships his software under a modified
license, even if that license merely importunes people to not use it, he
has removed himself from the Open Source community.

Given that such a discriminatory importunation (that probably wasn't a
word until just now) facially violates OSD#5 (or #6, depending), I'm not
sure that we should welcome discussion of such a thing on opensource.org
mailing lists. It is simply off-topic. Not good, not bad, just
off-topic. People might think that we don't hold ALL the terms of the
OSD in equal stead. Another thing the valuable and useful Larry Rosen
(former OSI lawyer) said is that if you want a judge to believe you, you
have to believe yourself. If you don't take yourself seriously, why
should the judge?