[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Resources to discourage governments from bespoke licenses?

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Fri Feb 28 17:37:06 UTC 2020

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) via License-discuss dixit:

>But as it currently stands, I don’t know if I’m exposing both the USG
>**and users of my work** if I use a standard license when some of the
>clauses don’t apply.

I’m publishing digital editions of music from composers dead for long
enough their works are in the Public Domain.

I don’t know beforehand whether I have any copyright protection in
these editions. Arrangements would be clear, but an attempted faithful
transcription is hard to sell, on the other hand there’s precedent (in
my legislation) for protection of musical engraving.

I’m dealing with it as follows: I put into the footer…
	© (if applicable) 2020 mirabilos; published under … licence
… and the precise licence terms in the metadata.

This should be clear enough. Of course, it’s a nōn-copyleft licence,
but AIUI you were considering CC0 as well, so perhaps it helps.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt