[License-discuss] exploring the attachment between the author and the code

Christopher Sean Morrison brlcad at mac.com
Fri Feb 28 17:26:59 UTC 2020

This exploration is a beautiful change of pace that I can get behind, so thanks Gil!

I would offer a counter-perspective to your code ownership claim.  I’ve authored and modified more than a million lines of code over decades across multiple projects, but I actually don’t perceive any of it as “my code” even where the inception, authorship, and sharing are 100% me.

In my world view, the code belongs to all and can’t or at least shouldn’t be “owned” once it’s Open.  I wrote it, but it’s not “mine”.  It WAS mine … before I shared it, before it was “performed”, before it was dedicated as Open Source.  Even my subscription to the legal practices of licensing are more out of desire to engender community and protect the code’s vitality, protect the performance as it's subjected to change.

To quote author Ursula Le Gain, “Nothing is yours.  It is to use.  It is to share.  If you will not share it, you cannot use it.”  Of course, I accept my world view is unconventional and to each their own.

Cheers!
Sean