[License-discuss] Resources to discourage governments from bespoke licenses?

Michael Downey michael at downey.net
Fri Feb 28 01:31:36 UTC 2020

While it's not nearly as common as it was for a while, now and then we get some government  and inter-governmental clients who want to roll their own license because they think they are a special case of indemnity or privilege requirements, things along those lines. But typically when we hear those remarks, it's not coming from legal folks with FLOSS experience but instead just default thinking that the most protective stance is to create something bespoke.

Can anyone on the list recommend any good reading materials, essays, talks, or presentations on why we should discourage bespoke licenses, especially for governments and similar agencies?

Thanks in advance for any memories or bookmarks folks can dust off --

Michael Downey
United Nations Foundation