[License-discuss] "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Feb 25 21:33:20 UTC 2020

VanL <van.lindberg at gmail.com>:
> I'll +1 Richard here. Decertification is the better long-term outcome.
> Deprecated may be a step to decertification, but there are a few licenses
> that should probably be decertified.
>
> On the flip side, I think there should be an affirmative effort to certify
> licenses - such as those identified via the SPDX project - even without
> affirmative submission. Most of them will not be controversial. We want to
> reach a world in which we have looked at all the source-available licenses
> and made a determination as to their OSD conformance. This strengthens the
> OSD as a tool for measuring licenses.

I concur with all of this.

I didn't endorse deprecation as an *exclusive* alterrnative to
decertification, but rather as a lesser step we can take by itself
when appropriate *and* as notice that future decertification could be in the
offing.

I am a huge fan of the SPDX effort, by the way. All my code has been
SPDXified for years.  I did my best to promote it back around 2016 and
was quite gratified when a rumor reached me that some people on the
project credit me with reviving general interest in it.

So I am strongly in favor of anything we can do to cooperate wuth
them, build on their work, or help them use ours.