[License-discuss] "Ethical open source" and the Persona Non Grata clause.

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 13:49:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:27 PM Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> I reject the "Persona Non Grata" clause, and all other attempts at
> so-called "ethical" open-source licensing, in the strongest possible
> terms.  To get entangled in this sort of thing would not merely
> be against OSI's charter as expressed in the OSD, it would invite
> second- and third-order effects that would be gravely harmful.

Thank you!!

I would like to add one further thought, which relates to your other
comments about stare decisis, which is that acceptance of a concept by the
FSF, or approval by the FSF of a specific license embodying a concept,
should not be considered binding on the OSI.   The FSF is not infallible,
and as with any other organisation has made its own share of mistakes.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property rights
as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition! http://l.c11.ca/ict/

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own