[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Fri Feb 21 20:32:44 UTC 2020

If I'm following this correctly, I think the proposal is to have an OSD
compliant license that has attached to it some sort of credo and wall of
shame. The credo defines the category of undesirables and the wall of shame
preserves the record of those names upon distribution.

Although clearly not the OP intent, this is a way to weaponize any
OSD-complaint license. If I have a message that I want everyone who uses my
code to see, I could add it to the license as a preamble. The message could
be anything -- good or bad. Seems that as long as it is a non-binding part
of the license and not actually a license term, I can promote or denounce
anyone or anything. Whereas not the intent of the license to serve as a
vehicle for a credo, shitlist, or injunction, I guess is could be.

Vote for Pedro. Open your source, Left handed people are sinister. You aim
like a stormtrooper. Licensed under the terms of the...

Gil Yehuda