[License-discuss] Invariant manifestos as an approach to expressing values / beliefs / missions for open source projects

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Mon Dec 28 15:31:16 UTC 2020

It is a misperception to think that there is any "non-binding" part of a
legal document. Everything in there is there for a reason (or should
be). There may be parts that don't describe an action, but contract
interpretation often involves determining the intent of the parties.
This is often the role of the recitals. Take for example the statement
in the GPLv2 that "The GNU General Public License is intended to
guarantee your freedom to share and change free software." When
interpreting the license, and trying to ascertain the meaning of an
ambiguous clause in it (and there are many), this statement tells you to
construe the ambiguous clause in favor of an outcome that will give
users the freedom to share and change the software, because that is
described in the document as the licensor's intent.

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492