[License-discuss] A modest proposal to reduce the number of BSD licenses

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at amazon.com
Fri Aug 21 22:24:51 UTC 2020

> From: Ben Ramsey <ben at benramsey.com>
> On Aug 20, 2020, at 18:53, Atwood, Mark via License-discuss <license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:
>> Amazon’s preferred permissive license is Apache 2.0.  In part because it doesn’t have this “dozens and dozens of pointless minor variants” problem.

> Except in the case of MIT-0, right? ;-)
> https://github.com/aws/mit-0

That's correct.
Amazon generally usually uses MIT-0 for sample, example, documentation, reference, training and classroom code.  Anything where we expect customers to copy or modify it into their own applications, so as to not impose even the cost of attribution on the customers.

Some business units of the company will sometimes choose to use different licenses for open source projects and for sample code, for various business strategy reasons.

And sometimes we will use different licenses when circumstances dictate, such as when starting from a source code template with a different license.

Most of our service documentation, API documentation, and users guides are on github, and are under CC-BY-SA-4.0-I.

..m

Mark Atwood <atwoodm at amazon.com>
Principal, Open Source
+1-206-604-2198