[License-discuss] WordPress GPL software

zak zakman.green at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:21:39 UTC 2019

I stumbled across a site (https://www.gplkey.com) that sells
WordPress-related themes, plugins, etc. at a much cheaper price than their
developers sell them for. I'd actually like to recommend this site but, not
if it's illegal.  It would be helpful if I knew what the licencing was, for
the themes, plugins, etc but it's not clear (or present at all) on most of
the sales pages.  So technically, it seems like it's ok to sell these
products for less.  No..?

I'm having a confusing time understanding licensing and copyright
infringement.  I expect that this kind of re-sale would not sit well with
the original developers of the products, but it's a great option for people
on a budget who would appreciate an opportunity to obtain these software
applications for considerably less -- with the understanding of course that
the firesale price doesn't come with any kind of support.  Heck, I would
pay that price... IF it wasn't illegal (haven't bought anything yet).

Like I say, I would like to recommend this site (and use it myself) but I
also don't want to be associated with anything illegal. I'd just like to
understand the licensing and copyright restrictions and whether I could
justify recommending that people buy WP-related products from this site.