[License-discuss] WordPress GPL software

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Sep 26 10:14:34 UTC 2019

* zak:

> SPECIFICALLY, can someone else legally re-distribute (sell for less or give
> away) the commercially available software (eg. themes and plugins), without
> permission of the people who developer them? Are the modified, commercially
> available themes, plugins, etc also GPL simply because they are created
> using original WordPress GPL software?

Practically speaking, you cannot know what kind of arrangements the
commercial distributor has made with other authors.  After all, they
may have permission to distribute something under non-GPL terms.

Even if they don't, that's between them and the owners of the
copyright that they infringe.  It does not give further recipients
permission to infringe *their* copyright.  (There's something odd in
the GPLv3 in this regard, but I don't think that can apply if you only
get to that point by an upgrade from the GPLv2.)

There's also a possibility that these authors use a subscription model
where source code access is one of the services they provide, and you
are not allowed to provision that service to third parties (without
violating the terms of the subscription agreement).  I believe the
general assumption is that such terms are acceptable if one can end
the subscription at any time and exercise all relevant rights under
the GPL.