[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Discussion: AGPL and Open Source Definition conflict

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Sep 24 13:50:06 UTC 2019

Florian Weimer wrote on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:42 AM
> * Howard Chu:
>
> > That sounds like a fair summary, yes. Also, simply adding a
> > non-standard extension to our server to meet this license requirement
> > doesn't solve anything, if all LDAP clients aren't also modified to
> > recognize the extension, and that in particular seems an unrealistic
> > task.
>
> For LDAPS, you could use ALPN (RFC 7301) and offer source code download over regular HTTPS, on the same port.  But that only works
> for AGPL compliance of the LDAP server itself.  It does not solve the problem of storage plugins with AGPL compliance requirements.
>
> One could come up with a mechanism which bundles source code into ELF sections, and then use the dynamic loader to enumerate all
> loaded ELF objects and extract the sources for them, so that compliance could be automatic even in that case (as long as there is a
> protocol-specific adaption which allows for tunneling or otherwise providing source code access).  But such a mechanism does not exist
> today, and it directly conflicts with goals such as minimizing the size of container images (which have source availability problems of their
> own, of course).  If the source code is not bundled directly in the ELF file, obtaining it as required to serve a source retrieval request
> becomes much more complicated.

The ELF idea sounds interesting, but what about other binary containers, e.g. mach-o?

That said, I for one would find it *highly* amusing if gcc/clang added a switch to embed the complete project into the binary (or even a git bundle, so you can do a pull from an executable).

Thanks,
Cem Karan

---
Other than quoted laws, regulations or officially published policies, the views expressed herein are not intended to be used as an authoritative state of the law nor do they reflect official positions of the U.S. Army, Department of Defense or U.S. Government.