[License-discuss] META: threading and topic drift

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri May 31 18:25:23 UTC 2019

Sorry about that.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 1:45 PM Kevin P. Fleming <kevin+osi at km6g.us> wrote:

Please try to stay on topic. Patrick started this thread with a very
> straightforward request for license stewards to provide information
> about their licenses, and now the thread is rehashing preferences for
> one license over another, OSL vs. GPL, etc, and hypothesizing what a
> future OSL could be. None of that is inappropriate for this list, but
> it's off topic for this thread, and that makes it harder for people
> who want to participate in specific discussions to do so.

Most threaded mail readers thread on the Subject: line rather than the

Yes, the 'delete' key is right there, and it's not hard to press it,
> but when someone posts a message which is both on-topic and off-topic
> (as happens often), readers have no choice but to read through it all
> to find the parts that are relevant.

As long as people write messages on more than one topic, responses will be
on more than one topic.  Nobody's going to write several replies on *any*
system to the same message.

Would it be better if people always raised an issue in one post, made a
proposal to resolve it in another, and posted their arguments in a third?
It would.  But they won't, not without a *lot* more support (see <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issue-based_information_system> for what that
would look like).

In my last lifetime, I believed in reincarnation;
in this lifetime, I don't.  --Thiagi