[License-discuss] License licenses

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Thu May 30 21:04:15 UTC 2019

Patrick Masson dixit:

>We would like to add the following information to each license page:

Information for: https://opensource.org/licenses/MirOS

Title: The MirOS Licence
Short identifyer: MirBSD
	(or MirOS, apparently that took off… but official, it’s MirBSD)
Official text: http://www.mirbsd.org/MirOS-Licence (heavy on UTF-8)
ASCII version: http://www.mirbsd.org/MirOS-Licence.asc
XHTML version: http://www.mirbsd.org/MirOS-Licence.htm
Copyright:
 © 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 mirabilos
 © 2004 Stephen Paskaluk, R. Tyler Ballance
 © 2004, 2006 Benny Siegert
Contact: mirabilos <m at mirbsd.org>

Licence on the licence text itself is… tricky. We never issued a
formal licence on it, but as a legal document itself, it can be
distributed along licenced works, and considering its history,
we don’t mind it being used as a basis for other licences, however
only “official” versions should be distributed under the name.

For short licences like this, threshold of originality likely
does not apply much… though I’ve got some pride about it.

The auxiliary text in the file is published under The MirOS Licence
itself, just like most material of ours.

Under no circumstances are any other licences, such as those from
the FSF or Creative Commons, to be applied to it.

>It would be nice if the people on this list could provide any
>information they may have, so I can confirm any information I may
>find/have.

You’re welcome. I’ve been waiting for over a decade for OSI to fix
the copying mistake they made when adding the text to its website
initially (the Unicode combining underscores were badly replaced),
perhaps you can take this as a chance to correct that? See the links
to the “official” versions above; just copy the ASCII version if you
don’t manage Unicode in the current time and age…

bye,
//mirabilos
- --
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt