[License-discuss] Discussion on new revision of Master-Console's Open Source Definitive License(MCopdl)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed May 29 13:32:15 UTC 2019

On 29/05/2019 13:12, Wayne A Rangel wrote:
>      "Source" implies to the core files, the code used, documents and resources used in the product. This definition also applies to 'source code'.

I think you need this document reviewing by a native English speaker.
However the first issue I noted is that "core files" has a specific
meaning in the technical English used for computing systems, and, and
files that meet that definition are usually not of interest from an open
source licensing point of view. and certainly not interesting enough a
case to appear first on the list.  On the other hand, "source code" is
not defined, but that is a potentially contentious area.

A core file, as generally understood in computing related English, is a
file containing a copy of the, potentially, variable parts of the
contents of the computer's memory when running the program, and, in
particular, their contents immediately following the detection of a
failure of the program.

"Core" derives from the historic use of ferrite (ring) cores as a memory
technology.

Several other definitions don't feel consistent with normal English
usage, so I'd need to spend a long time reading the text and referencing
the definitions, to fully check it.

(In the above quote, "implies to" is also not valid English, and I'm not
completely sure whether you meant "refers to", or "implies", with no
preposition.)