[License-discuss] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Tue May 28 18:50:34 UTC 2019

And both with NOSA 2.0 and the recent LBNL BSD, questions on the list were asked about the "regulations and laws" that were dictating certain provisions in those licenses, and that an attorney from the agency that drafted these licenses respond to those questions:

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2018-June/003490.html
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2019-May/004208.html

As far as I can recall, there was no response to these inquiries.  Even just to say "this section of the CFR or similar government regulations is why we have to write our license this way."

I, for one, find the response "we have to do it this way, we're the government, believe us" unsatisfying, as someone who has spent a lot of time both as a government employee and parsing  through, committing to memory, and teaching people how to understand, at least one fairly dense government procedural manual:  https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/index.html