[License-discuss] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Sat May 25 17:34:25 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 1:24 PM Pamela Chestek
<pamela.chestek at opensource.org> wrote:

> On 5/25/2019 11:14 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>
> As for list moderation, I believe that this and other open source lists go way too far when they impose strict codes of conduct. I am an even greater fan of free speech than I am of free software. If you send too many emails, that is why God created the delete key. If anyone thinks that words like "absurd" deserve censure, then it is they who need a spine implant.
>
> Larry,
>
> Thanks for the kudos, I appreciate it.
>
> I agree that all opinions should be heard, but I want to clarify that you can't say them any way you want. I hope that everyone expresses their opinions with civility and respect, so that those who hold different viewpoints aren't afraid to state their difference of opinion.
>
> I've seen a few people who have said, essentially, "it's a little rough and tumble, so what, deal with it." But we lose voices that way. Some people with very smart views don't like confrontation, or internalize it as an attack. But we need to make room for them too. I've never heard of a forum where people won't participate because it's too polite (but I'd be interested to hear if there are any). I believe an elbows-out style of engagement is to all of our detriment. We don't need it; calm, rational argument is far more persuasive than bluster any day.

I agree that list discussion should be respectful as to be welcoming
to many participants, however in my opinion, moderating someone should
only be used as a last resort in serious situations, and that it
should be transparent.

I know of more than one member on another somewhat well-known legal
mailing list that avoids speaking out for fear of being moderated. I
myself have also been moderated on that list, and I was also moderated
for trying to post about being moderated! So someone might be unfairly
removed from the list and others aren't even allowed to know about it!

Because the moderation process is opaque, and the accused aren't
allowed to know about or confront their accusers, so this allows some
people to get "easily offended" and create unnecessary drama. It's an
entirely shady experience IMO which breeds doubt. If someone wants to
make a complaint, it should be public so that they are accountable for
it as well, so that it's only used when it's really necessary.

Thanks,
James