[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat May 25 15:14:40 UTC 2019

Bruce, I am disappointed to hear your complaint about the recent changes to the OSI license discussion and review process. I don't see that as an offense to you. I am sorry you are taking it so poorly.

But now, perhaps, you can appreciate my disappointment when I first learned, several months ago, that you have been representing OSI in their open standards activities. There are several others on this list (including me) who are more knowledgeable and experienced than you in this arena. For example, Scott Peterson is an expert at this, and his skills at this are more than those of the two of us put together – despite the fact that I occasionally consider his opinions to be absurd, and vice versa. It is important for OSI to let us know who speaks on their behalf. That is another reason why I liked Pam's recent email.

As for list moderation, I believe that this and other open source lists go way too far when they impose strict codes of conduct. I am an even greater fan of free speech than I am of free software. If you send too many emails, that is why God created the delete key. If anyone thinks that words like "absurd" deserve censure, then it is they who need a spine implant.

I also want to commend Pam Chestek for her calm and reasoned explanation of OSI's new license approval process. It is far more helpful than the mysterious processes that preceded it. I wish OSI success with this new protocol.

Best, /Larry

This email is licensed under  <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/> CC-BY-4.0. Please copy freely.