[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sat May 25 01:15:45 UTC 2019

The complaint which spurred this action was ad-hominem in nature, and this
continues to be the case. Let's please not try to hide that it's directed
squarely at me, except that we have just for the first time had Nigel
complain that Richard Fontana also dominated the mailing list in 2012.
Let's also be clear what the action is: I, and others, have today been
ejected from the license committee.

I believe the main offense I've committed is being a vigorously
participating authority on the matter of the OSD and Open Source licensing.
OSI has been eager to make use of this authority where it is convenient to
them, and currently has me representing their organization to the European
Union government and global industry.

OSI is increasingly being pressured to adopt licenses with *a common
anti-user theme. *As an individual, I believe it's important to push back
against such licenses, and that they should be disapproved on the basis of
the OSD and Software Freedom.  As an investor in a significant number of
Open Source companies, both individually and on behalf of my employer, I
also have a legitimate interest to represent in keeping the terms of Open
Source close to those which led to its success and are essential for its
continued success.

Discussion of the last license reviewed easily topped an arbitrary number
which, I am told, repels people from participation. There naturally will be
need for further discussion when the license submitter is incomplete in
their responses, ignores issues, or presents them in the light most
favorable to their client, which are all things we can expect. Thus, I
reject such arbitrary counts.

A board member, perhaps acting as an interim moderator, recently dinged me
for using the word "absurd". This is the only moderation communication I
have received this year. I have been an eager participant in implementing
codes of conduct on Open Source projects, and am not clear just what part
of the code *that *one falls under. Separately from codes, collegiality
obviously has value, and should be maintained, but I would not have though
that one non-collegial.

I am having trouble valuing the complaints of the so-far-non-participants
when their main distinguishing characteristic is that they *don't*
participate. If OSI is changing the policy, OSI will need to show that
people with diverse viewpoints actually participate to a greater extent
than they did before - not that discussion is globally reduced.

    Thanks

    Bruce

Bruce Perens - Partner, OSS.Capital.