[License-discuss] comprehensiveness (or not) of the OSI-approved list

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu May 23 03:00:56 UTC 2019

Rick Moen wrote:

> Today, I declare that a codebase is 2-clause BSD licensed.

As you have the obvious right to do.

But as someone recently reminded me, and I remind this list, the OSI charter
includes the obligation to "educate the public about open source." And so
OSI should educate you that patents are sometimes very important, and that
the BSD license is currently not very useful in the open source environment.
It is risky! Stay away from it! Use a professional license instead.

/Larry