[License-discuss] comprehensiveness (or not) of the OSI-approved list

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed May 22 13:12:58 UTC 2019

Let's clarify the history on CC0.

Objection to CC0 was primarily you and Bruce which made it DOA regardless of the opinions of the rest of the list.  There was no "quickly growing consensus" when they pulled the plug.

Many, if not the majority, of folks on L-R thought this should have been an easy open and shut approval:

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001429.html

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001430.html

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001432.html

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001434.html

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001443.html

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001441.html

And I got tired of reading that thread again….folks that care to can do so to see that the list was in favor of approval.

What was happening behind the scenes on the OSI board I cannot say but to say that “the Committee felt that approving such a license would set a dangerous precedent” is a significant overstatement.

The fact remains that CC0 is a widely used Open Source license approved by CC, FSF and the USG.  OSI approval, or lack thereof, has had minimal impact on its use.  John Cowan succinctly made this point in 2012:

"I would, and gladly.  But it wouldn't be CC0.  People are *already* publishing software under CC0, and now they can't even say it's Open Source.  That *sucks*."

http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2012-February/001570.html

ObDis: Speaking for myself and not APL.