[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Jun 30 22:43:54 UTC 2019

Pam, I understood previously that was what you believe, but I don't agree with you. Not all amicus briefs focused on the fundamental legal issues in the Oracle v. Google case. Permission to use an interface (API) shouldn't depend on the functional purpose of that interface, whether it be Android to work with Java or as a replacement for Java for those running programs using Java. I appreciate that the lower courts referred to misleading fair use and other legal theories, but the bottom line for open source ("software freedom") is the ability for software to interface functionally with Java or any other program or language with impunity as long as they don't unnecessarily infringe copyright on expressive source code. /Larry