[License-discuss] [License-review] Copyright on APIs

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Sat Jun 29 22:34:08 UTC 2019

On 6/28/19 11:40 PM, Bruce Perens via License-discuss wrote:
> The successful application of copyright to APIs would be a disaster
> for Open Source software, in that we would no longer be able to create
> Open versions of existing APIs or languages.
But it also is equally good for open source software because the
copyleft effect would have greater reach and, in theory, it would result
in more open source software. That was the design intention of CAL, as I
read it. How is it different from the copyleft in the GPL? Why is one ok
but the other not? How do you know where the line is?

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492