[License-discuss] Working Class License

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jun 28 10:34:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 6:01 AM Lukas Atkinson <opensource at lukasatkinson.de>
wrote:

You are clearly not trying to create an open source license because the
> license discriminates against certain persons: against those who you do not
> deem “working class”. Compare OSD #5 specifically, and the Free Software
> Definition more generally.

Not only that, but the Working Class License itself is a blatant violation
of the FSF's copyright, unless the author has a private license from the
FSF to create such a thing (which I do not believe, as it fails to
acknowledge the FSF in any way). As the GPL says right at the top:
"Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this
license document, but changing it is not allowed."

The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his
own
skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full humility, and
among
other things he avoids clever tricks like the plague.  --Edsger Dijkstra