[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 12:04:11 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 3:44 PM Tzeng, Nigel H. <Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu>
wrote:

> 3. My agenda is mostly limited to wishing that we have more GOSS.

It is interesting that the policy split within license-discuss is similar
to the split within goslingcommunity.org

There are those who are focused on the government
use/creation/modification/distribution of software, and there are those who
are focused on how government regulates software.   We have not, however,
become divided as much as the OSI discussions have become -- it is more
about one group not always remembering about the other, never opposing.

The greatest threat to FLOSS is not an absence of software, but government
regulation which contradicts the underlying policy goals of FLOSS.

GOSS is different than other OSS not so much in that there is government
specific policies within copyright/patent and other laws granting exclusive
rights, or even the extremely risk averse nature of bureaucrats, but that
the government is the creator/modifier//distributor of those laws.

Obviously "the government" isn't a single entity within each jurisdiction,
but different departments can and should communicate policy goals with each
other.  Government agencies are then used by the politicians as resources
when bills (diffs on existing laws) are proposed (Pull Request).

(BTW:  At the GOSLING gaggle on Friday we had Jon "maddog" Hall visiting,
and MP David Graham https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_de_Burgh_Graham gave
us all a tour of the new Canadian House of Common building.  I have some
cool pictures of Jon on the new speakers chair).