[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Sun Jun 2 08:46:46 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 7:36 PM Luis Villa <luis at lu.is> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 5:33 AM Pamela Chestek <pamela at chesteklegal.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> Thanks for the comments. Speaking entirely for myself here, I agree with you. I hope everyone appreciates that this email was just a first step. We are also aware that email sucks (I'm about to tear my hair out after only a month of it, so I hear you) and will be working on a better tooling solution. I don't expect that to happen too soon, though. Small org, volunteers, you get it I'm sure.
>

> Yes, absolutely! Like I said, I greatly appreciate this as a first step, and will help as best I can. (I'd be happy to participate in a collaborative summary document of the CAL in a modern collaboration tool like Dropbox Paper or Google Docs, for example; and might even be moved to volunteer as a moderator for a Discourse instance.)

Since this wasn't challenged in any way yet, I feel compelled to point
out that both of the suggested tools are completely closed source.
While the concept of trialing an RFC like process seems to make
sense*, one would kind of expect the OSI to implement such a process
with open source tools, so as not to quickly alienate its core
constituency. Even if I'm not a teetotaler wrt Google Docs, the whole
license reviewing activity seems to lose its purpose, if we wouldn't
even use open source tools for THAT!

*) Clearly I'm not the target audience here, but better serving the
lawyer user persona is definitively an idea I support. I welcome this
thread that is actually focused on the process itself rather than
re-litigating some particular historical lost outcome.

henrik

henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354        skype: henrik.ingo            irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://fi.linkedin.com/pub/henrik-ingo/3/232/8a7