[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Sat Jun 1 12:11:35 UTC 2019

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the comments. Speaking entirely for myself here, I agree with
you. I hope everyone appreciates that this email was just a first step.
We are also aware that email sucks (I'm about to tear my hair out after
only a month of it, so I hear you) and will be working on a better
tooling solution. I don't expect that to happen too soon, though. Small
org, volunteers, you get it I'm sure.

Speaking personally still (have I made that clear enough yet?), I am
strongly opposed to any "because we say so" standard of license
approval. As I suspect everyone understands though, there are also new
and novel questions raised in submitted licenses, the CAL license being
a good example, so sometimes the answer has to come from fundamental
policy principles. As is also well-known, the OSD (like any law) can be
gamed to do exactly the opposite of what the goals and purposes of open
source software are, so it is appropriate that the OSI ensures that
doesn't happen. My take is that is what is meant by "software freedom,"
but I agree with you that parroting the phrase is entirely unhelpful.

As to rationale and recordkeeping, I expect to be providing a rationale
document about the OSI's decisions on license approval. However, Richard
Fontana has pointed out the process problem where there is a pile-on in
license-review, causing the license submitter to withdraw the license
and then no opportunity for the OSI to provide any feedback on what the
OSI itself actually thought about the license. Should the OSI be in the
business of giving "advisory opinions," and if so, how? How about how
the "Master's-Console Open Source Definitive License," a license clearly
not ready for review, was handled? The problems were quite obvious with
it, so does anything more need to be said about it? ICYMI, I sent out an
email stating we were assuming that it was withdrawn because the
submitter moved the discussion to L-D, although never communicated to us
that it was formally withdrawn. Should this have been handled differently?

And what about a license that is approved? Every license has flaws that
people note. Should a rationale document explain why these weren't
considered problematic, or is approval good enough?

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492