[License-discuss] Conditions and Covenants

Alexander Terekhov herr.alter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 07:24:52 UTC 2019

I've got a question off-band regarding conditions vs. covenants. Here's
really good explanation apart from conditions concurrent***:

"Conditions in no way create obligations. They simply outline various
limitations. If a certain condition does not occur, this doesn't
necessarily entitle a party to compensation for damages. Conditions can be
one of the two types: precedent or subsequent. When a condition precedent
is put into place, this means it must occur before a right to a piece of
real estate is gained. When a condition subsequent is put into place, this
outlines how the piece of property can be lost if a certain obligation is
not carried out."

- and -

"Covenants are unconditional promises found in contracts, and the failure
of a party who makes such an agreement to abide by its terms will entitle
the other contracting party to damages for breach of contract. Such damages
are usually calculated on the basis of how much it will cost the
non-breaching party to be in the same position as such party would have
been had the breach not occurred. That a party has made a covenant can
often be seen by the use of words such as “promise,” “undertake,” or
“agree.”

A “condition,” on the other hand, is a contingency, the happening of which
may either excuse or trigger the obligation of a party to do something.
Conditions can be either precedent or subsequent. A condition precedent is
something that must occur before an obligation exists. A common example of
such a condition is a loan contingency found in a purchase and sale
agreement, whereby if the buyer is unable to obtain a loan, the buyer is
not obligated to complete the purchase of the property. A condition
subsequent is something that may occur after a promise is made, which will
excuse the obligation of a party. An example of such a condition is that
the obligation of a buyer to complete a purchase may be excused if a
property is damaged by a natural disaster or fire before the close of
escrow. That a condition, as opposed to a covenant, exists can often be
seen by the use of words such as “if,” “when,” “unless,” “subject to,” or
“conditional upon.”

Unlike the failure of a covenant, which will create liability on the part
of the non-performing contracting party, the failure of a condition merely
creates the possibility of the contract being terminated without there
being any liability resulting from such failure. Using the above examples,
if a buyer cannot obtain a loan in satisfaction of the loan contingency,
the buyer can terminate the contract without liability. Likewise, if the
property is damaged before the close of escrow, typically either party can
terminate the contract without liability. Whereas the failure of a
condition does not give rise to damages, it typically will excuse any
future performance."

http://www.jaburgwilk.com/news-publications/covenants-conditions-contracts

***) https://definitions.uslegal.com/c/concurrent-condition/

"A concurrent condition is an act that the parties to a contract are under
duties to perform concurrently and the act of each party is separately
operative as a condition precedent. "