[License-discuss] Essential step defense and first sale

Alexander Terekhov herr.alter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 02:53:02 UTC 2019

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20090922030639824

"... And look at a comment submitted
<http://www.mail-archive.com/gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org/msg07417.html>,
according to Terekhov, by Hollaar to the FSF during the rewriting of the
GPLv3:

This is not a correct statement of copyright law, at least in the United
States. With respect to "propagate", it is likely a tautology because of
the defintion of "propagate" covering only things "that require permission
under applicable copyright law". But for "modify", 17 U.S.C. 117 permits
the "owner of a copy of a computer program" to make an "adaptation" in
particular circumstances, and makes it clear that making that adaptation
does not "infringe copyright if you do not accept this License." It also
does not seem to recognize the "first sale" doctrine codified in 17 U.S.C.
109, that permits the transfer of a lawfully-made copy "without the
authority of the copyright owner". Perhaps the interplay between the
definition of "propagate" and this section covers it, but it is certainly
not made clear and, in fact, misleads one in thinking that the only way to
redistribute a lawful copy is to accept the License.