[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Jul 8 18:05:03 UTC 2019

Just like SCO. They claimed that their BPF software had been copied. Common
IPR mistake number one! Carefully save all of the metadata
_with_the_software_, not with your legal file cabinet which will go in a
different direction from the software when your company is acquired or
spins off a division. BPF of course stands for Berkeley packet filter.

I have had customers who messed up so badly at saving the metadata after a
few spin offs and mergers that they became unable to prove that they owned
their main product. They literally did not know which pieces belonged to
them, and which to other companies.