[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Jul 5 19:25:43 UTC 2019

Software system administrators are not always SaaS providers. And users are
often administrators of their own software, that is a fundamental point of
Free Software, that you _can_ do that. I don't believe that FSF has ever
made any statement in favor of encumbering the data processed by their
programs. I don't believe they will. And I don't believe that encumbering
user data is in any way a step *forward *for the freedom of that user.

Bruce Perens - Partner, OSS.Capital.