[License-discuss] OSI is not a trade association

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 21:29:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 5:17 PM Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:

> James, I understand the problem of the companies pushing for that, but a license that everyone can use except Amazon, or SaaS companies, or SaaS companies over a certain size, isn't copyleft and isn't "strong" copyleft. It's just restrictive. Heather and Kyle came up with "Polyform", which IMO sounds too much like "colorforms" but it's fine as long as you don't call it "Open Source" or "Free Software".

Perhaps I didn't phrase clearly, but I wasn't disagreeing with you
about not calling it "Open Source" or "Free Software". I agree it
shouldn't be called that.

Clarified for you, my comments meant to state:
1) OSI should campaign against proliferation as part of it's mission.
2) Companies are now trying out restrictive, non-open source licenses.
I think it's a mistake, and what they really want is normal copyleft.

Thanks,
James