[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Kevin P. Fleming kevin+osi at km6g.us
Wed Jul 3 11:05:14 UTC 2019

As a software developer I have a hard time accepting that designing an
API is not a 'creative' process. If a library to provide a service
offers a function which needs a dozen pieces of information from its
caller, for example, making a choice between accepting all of those as
parameters to the function or creating a structure of some type to
hold all the information and then accepting an instance of that
structure is a decision made by the API designer. This decision will
influence the ease of use and understanding of (and possibly the
ability to extend) the API, and is not a random choice. There are many
other examples of API design decisions which make the API 'hard to use
properly' or 'easy to use improperly' and a well-designed API is
anticipated to avoid these results.