[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:37:03 UTC 2019

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:

> But leaving that aside, I would argue that this section, if activated
> by "the original copyright holder", transforms GPLv2 into a
> non-open-source, and indeed non-free-software, license.

I see and understand your policy position. I would have to consider it
further to determine whether I agree. But I don't see how this position can
possibly be logically consistent with the broad understanding of open
source: A foundational license of both free software and open source, that
is not FOSS if it is used as explicitly described within the license? That
is the licensing equivalent of "you're holding it wrong." Such an
assertion, if upheld, would substantially weaken my confidence that the OSD
could be evaluated in a consistent fashion.

Thanks,
Van