[License-discuss] Intimacy in open source (SSPL and AGPL)

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Wed Jan 23 16:47:03 UTC 2019

(Forgive the resend, my email address changed).

A license with parameters such that end users are advised to first engage a
legal expert to help craft a usage architecture, seems to be lacking
completion. Licenses should speak for themselves. I'm glad there is a
community of informed lawyers I can find and call upon when needed for open
source issues. I wish the licenses were so clear the need for these
services were less. A cynic would suggest that new licenses could be
written with even less clarity by lawyers who want to secure more future
business. I'm not that cynic.

A license such that "we all know what it means" but some of us are still
worried that a court reads into the text a meaning that we were sure was
not intended, but does fit the plain meaning (e.g. interpreting intimacy in
an overly broad way than the expressed feelings of people on a mailing
list), seems to be incomplete (albeit the reality in law). An open source
license is supposed to invite use and adoption under terms that the user
can understand. It should not invite doubt and speculation about how to
call an API or driver to avoid the unintended situation where a product is
accidentally considered part of a copyleft scope. (And thus commercial
licenses should be sold to exchange value for money, not to reduce concerns
of license parameters.)

I respect the care involved in crafting the license we have today. As we
encounter new product architectures that might not have been anticipated by
the drafters of the licenses, we need to refine the parameters. I wondered
why we don't have an A/LGPL (or A/MPL, A/EPL) that addresses the
"non-conveyed software gap" but also limits the scope of copyleft to the
work itself. Moreover, I still am humored by the term *intimacy* since it
usually implies the invitation to know each other without doubts, and in
this case, it feels like kissing with eyes open, looking around.

*Gil Yehuda*