[License-discuss] Intimacy in open source (SSPL and AGPL)

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Tue Jan 22 18:20:57 UTC 2019

I agree, it would be very helpful to have a clear statement of the intent of that paragraph in (A)GPLv3.

I've seen two very different concepts discussed in this thread.

On Sunday the 13th, Lukas discussed the idea that "intimate" communication is in regards to distributing Corresponding Source, so the license must mean that "anything needed to run the software" must also be released under (A)GPLv3.  He effectively suggests that if a GPLv3 application is developed so that it cannot run without a given library, the library must also be released under (A)GPLv3.

The next day, on Monday the 14th, John Cowan described the idea in the exact inverse: If you develop an application so that it cannot run without a given (A)GPLv3 library, your application must also be released under (A)GPLv3.

Both are tempting, but I'm not sure that either makes sense in all situations.

Lukas' idea certainly makes sense within the context of that paragraph.  But what if I want to modify an existing open source application under GPLv3 to interact with an existing open source library under one of the licenses that are not compatible with GPLv3 (as discussed by GNU.org at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses)?  Does this mean I'm not allowed to modify the application to work with the library?  If I modify the application to work with the library, but the application is also capable of working without the library (similar to 2(a) from LGPLv3), does this mean it's no longer "intimate" since the library is no longer needed to run the software?

John's idea makes sense philosophically for GPLv3, but I'm not sure that the additional permissions in LGPLv3 are enough to work with this interpretation in all cases.  What if I want to modify an existing application that is under an incompatible open source license to work only with an LGPLv3 library, and the application's license requires me to distribute as source?  LGPLv3 doesn't grant any additional permissions that would save the application in this case.

Although it's not directly relevant because of different license versions, I'd also point out that John's interpretation goes against the so-called "Torvalds Exception."

One other point of consideration:  When I give training on open source licenses, this idea of "intimate" nearly always comes up.  I lead the class (generally Engineers not trained in law nor familiar with the GPLv3 background) in a discussion of what it might mean.  Some other notable ideas I've heard:

  *   Maybe it means only if the two are developed together, so that the application and library are both developed to run only with each other.
     *   Slight modification: Could also include if both were modified in regards to the specific "intimate" data communications.
  *   Maybe it needs to be complex data structures, so if the interaction only uses default data types present in the language (e.g., int, char, bool, String) it can't ever be intimate.
  *   Maybe grammatically it should be read as "communication of intimate data" which is judging the data being communicated, so a banking app communicates intimate data but a weather app does not.

Thanks,
Nick