[License-discuss] [License-review] For approval: The Cryptographic Autonomy License (Beta 2)

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Aug 29 03:00:41 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 3:08 PM VanL <van.lindberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a supporter of the OSI. I think the OSI is important, and that it
> serves an important function. But I can also see that some people are
> already choosing to bypass the OSI for various reasons.

This is as it should be.

The OSD is more than two decades old, Free Software is much older, and it
may be that there is some new revolution, with a new definition, that
superscedes them. Even if that happens, the Open Source brand will continue
to have value because it does a good job of identifying what a license does
and doesn't do, and provides a paradigm for sharing that has been
astronomically successful and shows no sign that it will diminish.

Let's remember that 2007 comment about how irrelevant OSI and the OSD were
about to become:

*Badgeware is certainly not going away, and my fear is that if the OSI
chooses to ignore it, or worse, refuses to approve the licenses, they will
find themselves as irrelevant as the UN in short time. *(
http://www.royrusso.com/blog/2007/01/11/badgeware-and-open-source/).

Where is badgeware now? I could only find that MongoDB was using the
license in question, and even they appear to have moved on.

    Thanks

    Bruce