[License-discuss] [License-review] The Right of Display

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Aug 28 21:50:02 UTC 2019

[Just to license-discuss]

Pam Chestek wrote:

> In the case of computer-generated art, I assume your position is that the code and the resulting artwork are two different copyrightable works, even though the visual representation is entirely dictated by the code?

Two problems in that sentence: First, the artwork is not "resulting." The code doesn't create the artwork, it merely facilitates the display of the artwork. A Picasso painting is not created in any sense by my browser just because Google displays it to me. When I watch a presentation on YouTube, my browser isn't creating anything relating to the "literary work" that is the presentation. Of course, I can't see the presentation without the browser turned on and without the YouTube server sending bits down the channel to me, but the creative work that is the presentation is in no sense created by the browser. A book that I read is not created by the printing press, although without a printing press or a monk with a quill pen in the process somewhere, I can't read my copy. Browser software doesn't result in literary works, or vice versa.

Second, the code doesn't "dictate" the visual representation. It merely enables it technically to be visually represented. The literary content in the work that earns a copyright is not the separate copyrighted software code that visualizes it.

What I mean is that we are indeed speaking about two different works. As I said before, one is the projector and the other is the movie. They are related only in the sense that a projector displays movies and doesn't display its software, and the software doesn't reveal the literary plot of the copyrighted work that is the movie. But without both, I have neither.

> The Copyright Office considers the code that creates it and the screen display that is created by the code the same work and courts have adopted that position.

You need to cite some court case to explain that. Courts have reached strange decisions before; maybe this time also? Or maybe they mean something specific and different than what you suggest applies to literary works and software browsers.

> The act that occurred upon which to base a copyright infringement claim is showing a copyrightable interface to the public.

I mostly agree with that, except what do you mean by "interface"? The copyrightable interface embodied in the browser is not the infringed YouTube presentation that I am displaying. Bruce Perens recently wrote that "what is communicated is a textual document which contains identifiable fragments of the producing program." But often that isn't true at all. What copyrightable fragments of my software browser are contained in a Shakespeare play I display that has entirely lost its copyright due to age?

> The hypothetical was making the software available to the public at large, because indeed the display has to be to the public for there to be an infringement of the right of display.

Yes, there is a "right of display to the public" of a copyrighted work that must be breached to be an infringement. But that display is of the copyrighted work being displayed, not the display of the browser that exists in one copy only on my machine. I did not copy or display the browser itself.

Of course, if the browser inserts part of its own code into that other copyrighted work, as Bruce suggests, that could be an infringement of browser code. I don't think that happens much if at all. And if it does happen, is that merely a copy of functional HTML software that is not itself eligible for copyright?

Your conclusion: "And in this case the author's work being disseminated is a computer program."

Nope. The author's work is a YouTube presentation, or a Shakespeare play, or a symphony. The computer program is merely a browser, a tool for displaying other copyrighted works.

Now for license-discuss@: Why are we arguing this? I am willing to give copyright credit to both the movie and to the (open source?) projector software that displays it. I just don't want the two to be confused with each other, or one to take or claim copyrights in the other.

/Larry