[License-discuss] For Discussion: Cryptographic Autonomy License (CAL) Beta 2

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 00:26:30 UTC 2019

Hi Roger,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'd disagree with this characterization:

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 6:31 PM Roger Fujii <rmf at lookhere.com> wrote:

> Even more fundamentally than that is that this section does something that
> no open source license does (that I'm aware of anyway), which is to create
> an obligation just by running an /unmodified/ program.

A person can run the unmodified program (and even a modified one) without
having any obligations as long.as they run it for themselves, for their
private purposes.

This even applies to businesses, who can run CAL-licensed software for the
benefit of their employees and dedicated contractors.

The obligations of the CAL only apply when there is a "Recipient" - a
non-Affiliate third party who receives part or all of the Work from you.

That is a form of distribution - even if it is partial - and that is the
trigger for CAL's conditions.

Thanks,
Van