[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Libre Source License

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Aug 14 20:53:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> I think that OSD #3 does exactly that.  "The license must allow
> modifications and derived works [...]"  A license that even conditionally
> forbids those activities is not, on my reading, an open source license.

But of course we are not talking about licenses that conditionally forbid
those activities, only licenses that activate their source code
distribution terms upon the creation of a derivative work. Obviously the
OSD permits activation of the source code distribution terms for derivative
works. The only difference under discussion is *when. *The OSD doesn't have
any language regarding when the distribution terms may, or may not, be
activated.

    Thanks

    Bruce
--