[License-discuss] Discussion: AGPL and Open Source Definition conflict

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Aug 14 18:25:36 UTC 2019

OpenLDAP does not provide an interactive user interface, so that provision
of AGPL does not apply to it. It provides an interface meant to  work only
with programs,  rather than a human being. In contrast, the first
generation of internet servers where intended to respond to connection from
the telnet program, and provide a human readable help message.

If you want to err on the side of caution, a message which is visible by
sniffing the network connection would fulfill the responsibility. If your
server is incapable of providing such a message, I would submit that this
is an error in the protocol design. In the case of LDAP, such messages
should have been tolerated during the connect stage. In contrast,
connecting to an HTTP server allows all sorts of verbiage to pass by in a
form guaranteed to be ignored by the software.

Thanks

Bruce